Thursday 3 November 2011

C#, XNA and Microsoft's Tutorial, they really get it all wrong!

So, I am starting to learn about C# and the XNA Framework for various reasons. I am usually a python ... hmm.. I don't dare call myself a programmer or developer... let's settle for "dabbler", shall we? Anyhow, as a consequence, I have been following Microsoft's tutorial.

Now don't get me wrong, I like it. I don't mind C#. The syntax reminds me shudderingly of Java, which I tried and then stopped, turned round and walked away, so far away, but C# I seem to get fairly quickly. It is probably the way the tutorials happened to be set out.

BUT... and here is the BUT. There is always a but, isn't there. For one, all the online tutorials are written for people who have no concept of programming whatsoever. I would like to learn about XNA and C# and not about the concept of having a variable... It really unnerves me, because the start is soooo superslow. I wish they would do something about it. it really, really puts me off.

The other thing that really puts me off, are the brief introductory videos. I know what they are trying to do, but unfortunately, all the people they choose to let talk, give me the creeps in one way or the other. Adding in this whitened white background and I suspect every single one of them of a felony that does involve the absense of clothing or a fetish. It just achieves the direct opposite of what it should. Instead of giving the reader/viewer a gentle intro to the material, it sitffenes every muscle in fear and the mentioning of the word "gentle" will make you cringe in fear.

Ah, well, on the upside, after 4 lessons, I can now finally make an icon move. Isn't it awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment