Sunday 30 October 2011

Reloaded - My close but futile flirt with Ubuntu - an ongoing tale of curiosity and being disappointed

As I said, in my first post here, I got back into using Ubuntu :D Strangely this time because of work. I used to have a standard Desktop simply because everyone else had laptops. This was until a new colleague started. From that moment on, we had to share the machine, which was just not viable. As a consequence, I took my wife's old laptop (An Acer Extense 512 MB RAM machine). For the first week, I really, REALLY hated myself for doing that. The laptop is super slow and it takes about 5 minutes (or more) for a browser to open in Windows XP.

Close to despair, I chose to throw Ubuntu on it, and lo and behold, the increase in speed is ridiculous. Don't me wrong. Still slow as hell, but a definite improvement to before. As a research chemist, Ubuntu was for a long time a turn off, because two pieces of software weren't written for Linux. Namely, SciFinder Scholar and ChemOffice. I tried Wine and even those two went on without the shadow of a problem(?!?!?!!?). Within a short time I went from electronic car crash to having a feasible work station together with open office. In the near future, I plan to increase the RAM of the laptop, simply because I never opened a laptop before and I wanna see if I can do it. If it was successful, I will post a detailed report here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment