Sunday 6 November 2011

Geekiness in Movies

Today, I remembered something that I noticed when I watched the film "Swordfish", the film with Hugh Jackman as one of the best hackers in the world, who promised to never do it again and John Travolta as the megalomaniac baddie. For some reason most software developers quote the scene, where Hugh Jackman has to hack into some high security site within ...60 seconds I think or he gets shot, while receiving a blow job from a hottie, as their dream job. Personally, I don't mind challenging situations with a certain amount of pressure to deliver, but this is a bit too much for my taste ;)



Has anyone of you ever noticed how Jackman's character is called Stanley Jobson and one of his hacker friends who gets shot early in the film is called Axl Torvalds? Very smooth, you script writers. Truly very smooth. I was actually looking if Travolta's character was called something along the lines of Brian Gatesburgh... but I guess that would have been a little too obvious ;).

This prompted me to do some little research into geekiness in film... I mean my geekiness, you know, cross-references to roleplaying or stuff like that.

The two latter Matrix movies are gems for that. The first example comes with these creepy twins with the razorblades from Matrix: Reloaded. Check out the first video below and note how right at the end they say "We are getting aggravated... <Other one answers> Yes, we are." Shortly thereafter, they are actually getting blown up in their car (See second video clip). Now comparing this to the White Wolf system and their definition of "Agravated Damage", it makes me wonder, if the wording as it stands, was a coincidence. Personally, I would like to believe that it wasn't a coincidence and that the Wachowski Brothers are RPG geeks :D






The second one, I actually quite enjoyed was in Matrix: Revolutions. To me it was a little bit like the first StarCraft Movie. Just imagine the machines are the Zerg and the humans are the Terrans. If you watch the excerpt of the movie below, I see a striking resemblance between the StarCraft Terran Goliath unit and the robot units that face the machines.



Have you ever noticed some hidden geekiness in movies? I'd be more than interested to learn about it :D

No comments:

Post a Comment