Friday 4 November 2011

Role-Playing is a hobby like any other, alright?

Many people look at me oddly when I openly admit that I role-play. Over the years this has improved since being a geek is a good thing nowadays apparently (look at those horn-rimmed glasses), but being a nerd is still bad (or so I was told). Still some people really think role-playing is the equivalent of having a fifth, sixth and seventh appendage.
To me role-playing is just another way of hanging out with old friends that I do not see that often. While many people meet up to drink beer in a pub or a club to chat or dance and spent sh*t-loads of money on that, I tend to sit around a table at a friend's place, drink beer and we chat (no dancing really. sorry)... well, play through a scenario essentially and tell a story. If at this point, you as the reader wonder what role-playing exactly is, I would direct you to a couple of good articles, like this one or this one or even this one... or you could just google it. I am not here to explain what it is because many people have tried and did it rather well.

But we lose track, all I am saying here is, that to me this is a great way to meet up with friends regularly and have an enjoyable evening while having some drinks over an activity we all enjoy doing as opposed to meeting up with friends regularly for an enjoyable evening while having some drinks over ANY OTHER activity we all enjoy doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment