Sunday 8 December 2013

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

I know, as usual, I am late to the party, but I finally got round to playing Baldur's Gate I: Enhanced Edition. I was skeptical at first. I really was. Why on earth would I buy this game... again?!? Well, it is more than ten years old (1st release 1998, so that makes is now... 15 years at the time of writing). The video game landscape has changed "dramatically" since then. I got it cheap and thought I'd give it a try and I was really amazed by it.

Obviously they increased the resolution to modern standards... which made me aware how small all the maps were, but not only that. All those little annoying bits, that I annoyed me last time round, they ironed out. There is a quick save button! Also, they made a simple "copy Note" button, when reading a note in the game. That way you have them all, and you can easily discard the ones you found. "So" much easier and nicer. In the original, I always ended up using a chest that I knew I would always have access to and dump all the information scrolls into it.

I haven't encountered any of the new characters, but given it would appear that the new ones have a slant towards neutral/evil. Thus, I can finally play an evil party without too many constraints :) Currently, I am enjoying myself greatly and we'll see what else it brings. I heard rumours that now with BG II:EE having come out, they may be working on Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition. The de facto best role-playing video game ever to be made.

Let's hope, they get that far. I will buy straight away. I just wonder if any new characters can live up to the old ones, which are just the most amazing creatures ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment