Thursday 18 July 2013

Encrypting your online communication - A reaction to Prism and the NSA

I previously talked about my helpless anger regarding Prism, the NSA, the arrogance of the US' government and my mistrust of my government's activity's with regard to this affair. I have observed an interesting reaction to the situation. The German online newspaper I like reading, Spiegel Online (or short SPON) is now giving guidelines on how to encrypt your e-mails, so that it is less easy for the secret services of this world to follow your every communication.

I think it is great, that a newspaper with such a long reach (most read German online newspaper) is giving guidelines on how to encrypt your mails. A feat that most "normal" users would find daunting and confusing.

The problem is, though, that for this to work, one would need to give a decryption key to the recipient of the mails (no you can't send it by normal mail, that would defeat the point). Being the sceptic that I eternally am, I highly doubt that the general population will ever get to the point where this is the norm.
The majority of people will not do it. If it is due to lacking know-how or plain laziness is up for discussion here. I am sure that if I started to encrypt my mails right now, I can only think of very few of my contacts that would follow through with this. In fact, many of my "computer-literate" friends wouldn't bother with it at all. For pretty much either my reasons or laziness. I'm almost so certain, I would bet on it.

I am tempted to start a survey on this topic and ask friends... If anyone reads this, I would be very interested, so please do add a comment at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment