Wednesday 6 February 2013

Kreator...

Let's talk Kreator...

I know that I haven't mentioned it yet, but I am somewhat of a metal fan. Now Kreator is a band that has wowed me since I started listening to metal. Mostly through their live performances on festivals. This article is by a fan with a couple of beers so I will not bother with references, therefore clearly marking it as fan-fiction :P.

Kreator's been around almost since before I was born. Mille Petrozza's an intelligent song-writer with an amazing aura on stage if I've ever seen one. As a German, his German-influenced English makes me cringe sometimes, because I tried so hard to let go of the accent in favour of the British accents (which rule over all things American by the way).

Anyways, over the years, I have spoken to many a Kreator fan and mostly it appears to me that the albums 'Outcast' and especially 'Endorama' are considered some sort of mishap among the 'true' Kreator fans. Personally, I think they are the best things that Kreator ever ... well... "kreated", I guess. The self-confidence to take the foot of the pedal for a second although one plays thrash metal is a powerful tool. The contrast to the fast parts becomes all the more apparent that way.

This thought only came to me today when listening to the two albums while trying to switch off (don't know why it works for me, but it does!). I went to a Kreator gig now about two and a half years ago (Thrashfest) and that is when I noticed first. The supporting acts were fantastic consisting of Death Angel, Suicidal Angels and Exodus. All great bands in their own rights, but they were all concerned with destroying the place with speed and just sheer amazingness. Non-stop aggression was awesome at first, but once Exodus arrived I honestly got tired of it. It sounds crazy, but it did.

I couldn't believe it, but I felt like not being bothered about Kreator before they even stepped on stage. It was the first time, I saw them live on tour, not on a festival, which is different anyways. Then Kreator did something, that I so did not see coming. They renewed my excitement for thrash by playing one of my favourite songs from an entirely different genre from tape and on screen before they even stepped on stage. Watch yourself. I put the opener and a favourite Kreator song of mine one after the other.



Kreator was suddenly harder than anything I have seen only half an hour prior, simply because they put in good ole Johnny. He's got style "and" helps in making Thrash Metal just that bit more Thrash ;) Coming back to my initial point, by making albums like Endorama and Outcast, Kreator gave themselves a chance to makes their truly epic thrash songs sound even heavier and more awesome.

End of rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment