Monday 7 January 2013

A Hero Worship Article to Stephen Fry by an Admirer of his Work

I have recently finished reading Stephen Fry's [1] two biographies (yes, his life was interesting enough to allow for two not just one and it looks like there may be a third one) Moab is my washpot and The Fry Chronicle. To my own, very personal surprise, I found that it merits writing my thoughts down in one of those rather unremarkable articles of mine.

The books in itself were fantastic due to Fry's rather peculiar writing style balancing between rarely found excessive eloquence (as befitting one of those bloody Cambridge graduates who can only speak like twats... I jest of course, I am envious of the experience... probably not, I loved rough Glasgow and skanky Manchester a lot) and infrequent (and for that reason all the more shocking) vulgarity. Of the two books, I definitely favour The Fry Chronicle which describes his Cambridge years and his subsequent rise to fame (Moab is my washpot talks about his childhood and adolescence up to the point of his incarceration as a youth criminal for credit card fraud).

As a non-native English speaker who lived in Britain a decade, I wholly enjoyed reading Fry's writing for something that only Greg Graffin [2] of the popular punk band Bad Religion [3] (and another person whose life fascinates and interests me) achieved before him. I learnt new English vocabulary (regarding one of Bad Religion's song lyrics: I still keep forgetting what the word reprobate [4] means). It sounds weird, but I have become so accustomed to using English and using it also in academic context that I rarely encounter a text where I truly have to check words. With Stephen Fry's prose, this happens to me about every five pages. Some people find that annoying, I revelled in it as I felt for the first time in about three or four years that I actually improved my English (Since my departure from English shores, it actually feels that I am losing my edge a bit).

I was very surprised to read that Fry is a hobby computer enthusiast like me. Not just electronic gadgets but programming and all. But unlike me, he was there from the very first minute. I felt several pangs of envy when he talked about how he spent thousands and thousands of pounds on computer equipment (unfortunately on Apple Macintoshs, but youknow my view point on that [5]) - As a side note, I always want to call him Stephen, because the two books were so courageously revealing his most personal trials, tribulations and fears that I feel that I know the man already since 20 years. This is, however, not true, thus I shall stick with his full name or plainly with Fry.

His friendship with Douglas Adams [6] also left me a little bit envious as I have been a great fan of Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy infour parts [7] since my adolscent days. One of the true literary masterpieces.

I have found several parallels to me (but also quite a lot of huge differences... and no, the parallel is not that I am also gay) that left me feel very sympathetic to him and makes me appreciate the works and contributions that I like so much even more than before (Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie).

I guess, as a conclusion to this rather pathetic hero worship article, I can only hope that Mr. Fry never reads this article after I read how critical he can be of other people's work (despite saying that he will never admit to having thought it). 

References


No comments:

Post a Comment